Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Clichy: I Nearly Quit Arsenal


Arsenal's Gael Clichy has admitted he thought he would have to leave the club when Ashley Cole was keeping him out of the first team.


The French left-back said he was so disappointed when he picked up an injury whilst battling for his place in the side that he seriously considered moving away from North London in order to get regular first-team football.
Clichy now says he is delighted he decided to stay with The Gunners and is now happier than ever with an international career beckoning.
"When I look back, I was nothing but now I'm Arsenal's first [choice] left back," he told Setanta Sports. "In a big way, I've progressed a lot. I was just playing for Cannes in the Third Division and never thought Arsenal would be there looking for me.
"There was really a bad time since I joined Arsenal when Ashley got injured and I wasn't happy, I would not say I was happy but I got a chance to play," continued the 22-year-old.
"Then, a week later, I got the same injury. Of course, it was in my mind to just think that the chance is gone.I'll have to work hard and move elsewhere to do something. "At the end of the day, I'm here today and I'm really pleased with that. I can look back at the past and say all those things just made me stronger."
He said it was Wenger's decision not to replace Ashley Cole after he moved to Chelsea that gave him the confidence to remain at the club.
"When Ashley left, he [Arsene Wenger] didn't buy anyone and that is the best sign of confidence for me and was a big boost."

No comments: